My Definitely Sometime Great Adventure (3.a)

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Arrived in Sydney

Hey hey� !

 

I�ve hit Sydney.

I have finally met up with my friend Almira, on who�s pushing I started to plan the trip to Oz in the first place. We have taken up residence on her cousin�s living room futon for the last week and a bit, trying to get the jobs/apartment/life things together. Her cousin and her roommates have been awesome � which is a very good thing, because Almira and her cousin had only met one before.

 

Sydney is quite a contrast to Melbourne. Where Melbourne has a clearly defined city centre, highly designed buildings, and lots of arts/culture bent, Sydney seems to be a whole bunch of neighborhoods connected by streets. Like someone built a city out of puzzle pieces (we�ll stick the Italian bit over there, the bohemians get that corner, move the yuppies up�funnel all the tourists over here and stick the students there� yep that looks good.)

 

And just like you hear every time someone meets a celebrity� the Opera House is smaller than I thought. And scaly � I assumed it was smooth sails, but it�s more architecturally interesting than that. It�s funny, you form these visions in your head about famous landmarks, and it always strikes me how they rarely seem to match what you expected.

 

It�s Mid-November, and the Christmas trees, golden bells and boughs of holly are up, the �Season�s Greetings� cards are on sale� but it�s 25 degrees and sunny here and I cannot get my head around the fact that it�s nearing Christmas.

 

I do finally have some coordinates for you � Australian cell is +61 04 1514 8048

(I�m a day and 5 hours behind you)

 

And on Monday we move into an apartment in the Glebe.  We found an apartment with an extra bed and a huge living room because we have guests solid from December through mid-February or so, with maybe a couple spares in there. Anyone else that�s coming over (I think I will see more buddies over here than I saw in Vancouver on a weekly basis!) let us know and we�ll figure it out.  

 

We are only about 15 mins from downtown Sydney - 9/260 Glebe Point Road, Glebe NSW 2037 (right next to two hostels� can�t get away from those backpackers! Makes us easy to find)

 

Almira also brought a computer, so I am going to finally get some photos up on the blog for ya.. if you are interested� www.taraknight.blogspot.com

 

Miss you all �

 

Tara