My Definitely Sometime Great Adventure (3.a)

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Ahhh: the life in Sydney

Just when I think Sydney isn’t all that different from Vancouver (ok.. warmer and sunnier too…) I do something that shows me just how good life is here.

I have been running around the office getting ideas of where to go & what to do in Australia. One of the guys at the office tells me there is something I can’t miss – a dive of the Yongala wreck, out of Townsville on the east coast (near Cairns). Turns out he and a few buddies are going, right about when I will be at the top of Oz. Only problem is – I can’t dive – and haven’t learned because of a few family issues with diving (specifically a diving accident), but this guy happens to be a PADI dive instructor, so he’s offered to teach me the course, and certify me for my Advanced Open Water on the dive trip – who can turn that kind of offer down?

So he’s teaching me how to dive in the last couple weeks before I leave on my trip. I am studying at night, and on the weekends, and we are doing to pool work in some of the lovely seaside seawater polls, and diving in Sydney harbour. Other than a comical ability not to be able to clear my mask of water (I always tilt the wrong way – filling instead of draining it). I have to say – I think I should have taken this up earlier! It’s pretty cool to get out of the pool, walk around it to the rocks on the seaward side, put your fins back on and see heaps of coral, big blue gropers, fish like old wives, little nudibranchs etc. right in Sydney Harbour.

Yesterday, we did just a fantastic dive: the morning was cold, thick grey clouds all over the sky. After a bit of pool work – we broke for some much needed burgers and a warm up – and by the time we emerged from the burger shack in Manly – gorgeous sun!

We headed off to Shelley Beach - a gorgeous spot tucked around a little corner, overlooking part of Manly. We saddled ourselves up with gear, and trekked down the beach (much to the amusement of the people on the beach) and waded into the water. There isn’t much in the way of coral or super colourful fish, but lots of grey boulders strewn around. I saw my first shark – yippee! – about a 5ft. Wobbegong shark, hiding underneath the rocks. There were little sting rays, and poisonous rock fish. I was really chuffed to spot a huge Cuttlefish – it was longer than my arm – and not a minute later, spotting another one. Apparently, these two Cuttlefish were very large for their breed – we tried to get them to change colours, but it wasn’t meant to be. Of course, there were heaps of big blue gropers – like the family dogs of Sydney harbour. They swim right up to you, and nudge you looking for food, or a hand out of urchin. Woo-hoo! And after the dive, we walked right back onto the beach, just as the sun was setting behind us. Spectacular. So two more dives before I hit the road, and hopefully we’ll find the turtle that’s apparently lurking about. And my next stop: Tassie! (that’s Tasmania), I leave next Monday….