My Definitely Sometime Great Adventure (3.a)

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Still kicking down under!

So it has been awhile since I have sent a travel update – usually I try to do something interesting, silly or engaging, but life for the last little bit has been pretty regular.
I keep trying to generate some good stories - I went sailing for the weekend with a whole wack of strangers – nuthin’, I’ve been to two major horse racing carnivals in the last two weeks – and we enjoyed ourselves so thoroughly, that I can’t remember who won, let alone spin a decent story (think of what you look like at about 2am on a drunken prom night, except you are 25 – 60 years old – that’s about how a racing carnival looks).

The Aussies at work are attempting to improve my slang and pronounciation so I don’t sound like a Sepo (it’s an American – comes from ‘yank’…sounds like ‘septic tank’… shortened to ‘sepo’… it’s rhyming slang, like cockney!). I am working in Human Resources at an Eyewear company waayy out on the edge of Sydney, but every time it looks like it’s my last day, they find something else to keep me busy. It’s starting to slide into Autumn – the leaves are falling. It’s cool in the mornings and the evenings, it’s still about 25, 26 degrees at noon – so mostly it just feels like a Vancouver summer, but the mornings are chilly! We still managed to get a couple beach days in for a girlfriend that stayed with us last weekend, but that wind is getting a lot colder.

We have our own little Italian restaurant 20 meters from the apartment, where the owner (Joe) lets us arrive near closing, opens a bottle a wine, brings a couple deserts and we just watch the street pass by – it's La Dolce Vita for certain.