My Definitely Sometime Great Adventure (3.a)

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Wish I had heaps of funny bone tickling stories to tell - but haven't really had any even midly interesting events happen to me lately... maybe I am losing my touch?

Spent a few good days at Magnetic Island out of Townsville, just doing great walks around the Island and trying to find some sunshine. My next stop was Airlie beach - backpacker party paradise and gateway to sailing the Whitsunday islands in the Great Barrier Reef.

The locals reckon the weather is the worst in 30 years... it's about the same as a Vancouver summer - sun, then overcast, sun again and wind. It's still pretty warm up here - hard to believe they are "toughing it out" in a winter with plus 20 degree days and cloud cover.

I did manage to get on one of the racing maxi sail boats for a few days sail through the islands. Boy can they go! Heaps of fun to watch us land lubbers attempt to move on the boat with a 40 degree angle and the wind in our sails. The snorkeling is good - there is noticeable coral damage from both the climate and people, which is a real shame. One of the groups on board was a band traveling through Australia, so we got a free concert the first night - and the second everyone was so gooned, they couldn't play at all - so we all made do with the sailing crew's drinking games (a looong night).

I am off on an overnight bus to the Town of 1770 (guess when it was founded?) which I have been hearing about - hopefully some e-mail worthy escapades are in the offing...